Monday, June 15, 2009

Binging begats binging?

Leptin was the answer given to my question of yesterday as to why we binge so much. Now I'm not sure that there is one simple answer but my research into Leptin has been enjoyable.


The Leptin diet is not rocket science - but interestingly it follows a lot of my poorly named Big Mac diet (I'm not gunna make millions with that) and some other things I've learned over the past few months. So what are the 5 rules of the Leptin diet - I'm glad you asked:


Rule 1: Never eat after dinner. Rule 2: Eat three meals a day. Rule 3: Do not eat large meals. Rule 4: Eat a breakfast containing protein. Rule 5: Reduce the amount of carbohydrates eaten.


Simple really, i won't bore you with the background to all these rules but one review made this statement: The Leptin Diet Means No Snacking. Isn't this the conclusion that I've been coming to? Isn't this the basis of the Big Mac diet? Doesn't this hinge on the Eat Stop Eat logic.


So, let's look at them quickly from my perspective. Give a long period between dinner and breakfast maximises the time you might burn fat and is a simple rule to prevent more fat being stored at this time. Have only three meals and don't snack (Big Mac Diet all over). Don't eat large meals (hmmm, maybe about the size of a Big Mac). Have more protein at breakfast - this is where I'm guilty, i like my fibre and have a high carb breakfast - but i do know the benefits of more protein and should return to my two eggs and on slice of toast b'fast. Finally, less carbs - well I've learned that this works but not cool to go 'no carb'.


So, i am not promoting the book above at all (i haven't read it and don't intend to). I'm just saying that any good idea has usually already been put in writing. I don't know if the hormone 'Leptin' is responsible for my fat or my binging but the rules of the diet are very much in line with my thinking.

What made me laugh was how many people on the web commented that 3,4&5 made sense but 1&2 were debatable. I mean when i read it i thought 1&2 made the most sense.

Anyway, it's fast day so i really shouldn't be thinking about food.

2 comments:

  1. I think it depends on what works for a person individually, but I would say that the most important thing as far as regulating hormones goes is to eat a balance of protein, carbs, and fats at every meal. Without protein the carbs that we eat release a lot of insulin, which causes the body to store excess carbohydrate as fat (and prevents it from burning existing fat stores). Consuming protein releases the hormone glucagon, which is basically the opposite of insulin, and tells our body to release fat from cells into the bloodstream to be used as fuel. Eating both protein and carbohydrates in a balanced ratio allows the body to stay in a state of equilibrium where it can burn fat without causing a massive drop in blood sugar (which causes cravings and binging itself). I wrote a post a while back with some good resources linked, so if you have the time check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Geoff, i'll definately check it out. i don't think any of it is actually that simple or that complicated - balancing certainly does help and as i've posted before the whole low insulin definately works on many levels.
    Had a protein breakfast today and will not have any kind of snack between meals to see how i feel.

    ReplyDelete