Monday, May 11, 2009

Blinding Flash of the Obvious


I want to lay down the details of how I've feel I've been cheated over the years in terms of the Gym and how to work out.

I've always been happy with the gym, my dad was a part time gym instructor so i grew up in and around the gym. i was a member at a young age and at about 19 i was working out hard trying to GAIN WEIGHT. I'd do super body building workouts of 6 sets and finish with half a chicken and chocolate milkshake (but I'll discuss nutrition next post).

Then at the age of about 24 i was really putting on weight so i returned to the gym but this time to LOSE WEIGHT. The instructor explained that in order to drop weight i needed to spend at least 20mins on the bike/treadmill in the 'fat burning' zone. this seems amazing but it was so easy to keep in the 'zone' that i did this a lot. They also told me not to work out on the weights so much and this also made sense as previously i used it to gain weight.

Since that day i have seriously struggled with my weight - now about 12 years. that day i walked into the gym i weighed about 80kgs. I've been up to 115kgs and now I'm trying to get back there.

Last year i decided to drop some weight, got off the booze for two months and modified my eating. I made sure i was working out every day (Sunday off) and dropped about 10kgs. During this time my method of working out changed as the long slow cardio was just plain boring.

From this i read a little and discovered that research shows that interval training proves better than the long slow cardio. Well this just instantly made sense as you just can't burn anything if you don't work hard. in fact it's clear that the harder you work the more you burn - blinding flash of the obvious.

I tried to create my own interval training/resistance training routine. It worked well but was just too hard to keep up. Over Xmas i lost track of the eating but managed to still lose weight. I thought i was really onto something.

I made a few clear mistakes with my programme and can now see this by following someone-else's. I'm doing the 'Body for Life' programme now and will then move to Craig Balantyne's Turbulence Training once complete.

What i now see is that intervals really push the limit of what you can burn while also increasing the cardio capacity (you get neither with long slow cardio) and mixing up the weight training keeps the muscles guessing. For mixing it up i do this even with body for life by changing the exercises every three weeks, it's amazing the difference it makes.

i believe that both bad nutrition and bad training advice are to blame for the Pandemic obesity that we see today in the world. i hope that more people can see the light as to how to get fit and how to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment