Monday, May 18, 2009

Elliptical - what's the issue

OK, so yesterday i was good on the food front! Maybe went a little too low for lunch as i had only a fresh salad - but it was one of the best I've had. Today is ESE which is ok but I've got several guests today so I'm not sure how I'll go - if i can skip lunch I'll be there.


Workout today was the elliptical machine. So often i hear it said that this is a bad machine to work with, CB from TT hates it altogether. I really don't understand why.


I chose this today as it is low impact on the joints and after the 10k on Sunday my knees are sore. However, i find this the hardest of all my interval workouts and today was no different.


I set the thing to manual, give it level 17 and get going. i cycle at 6kms for the first two minutes, then i go a minute each of 8,10,12 &14 km/hr. i do this four times and then do a final blast at over 16 kms. one last minute slow to catch my breath and then follow the cool down.


It's a killer, i wasn't sure I'd make it. i really can't see how you can reject this piece of equipment. Maybe it's just that we see so many people on it going slow for hours - but you see that on the bike even more often.


One of the girls that does a full hour each morning on the same machine is a babe, she really has a super body.


What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. Chris,
    I took a look at your blog. It is my understanding that Craig Ballantyne's dislike of the elliptical is not against the specific machine. It is against the use of the machine that we all see in gyms. People get on the machine, with their magazine, and do a light work-out for 30 to 60 minutes. Or perhaps they wait until the calories meter tells them they have burnt off (some of) their poor food choices. This is the cardio confessional approach that CB argues is very time consuming and largely ineffective at fat loss versus TT.

    Catherine who has won in some of the contests ( www.transformationcontest.com ) used to read her magazines on the elliptical until see found TT. Now her magazines pile up unread because she is lifting weights and getting results.

    Still if you enjoy the elliptical machine for your intervals then go for it. If you enjoy the elliptical for your off day activity then go for it, just don't over do it with full intervals on your off day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Chris! I've read what CB has said about the elliptical, and one of the things that sticks in my mind is that people gravitate towards it...because it's easier. Once it's put into that perspective, I realize that yes, I want to use the elliptical because it's easier than the treadmill or bike for me. But is that really what I want out of my workouts? No! So I stopped using it.

    I saw an interesting article today that suggested that it promotes hyperextension of the knee, which can result in injury at high speeds. Of course, you'd want to confirm with another source.

    Here it is:
    http://www.workoutmuse.com/the-7-worst-exercises-ever

    Thanks for reading my blog! I look forward to watching your transformation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz and Andrew, thanks for the input. Yes, i see those sad people with their magazines on the elliptical, actually the really sad ones are on the reclining bike, i think the feel like they are at home on the couch while they read the newspaper.

    Once i was one of those sad people, makes me want to cry just thinking about it.

    I find that you can push yourself to the limit on any machine and that doing so feels right. I am now shaking it up (in line with CB Turbulance teachings). i like to do my intervals on as many things as i can. Bike, elliptical, swimming pool, ocean kayak, cross trainer, stairs, local park, hills, etc.

    If i can finish dripping and where it hurts just to stand then i know i've done my bit for the day and can get on with the rest of life.

    Liz, thanks for the workoutmuse, this is interesting stuff. i will use the elliptical less from now on (maybe just on days after i train for the marathon as continuous knee stress starts to hurt)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted a similar comment on the TT facebook page lst night. SAFETY FIRST.
    I have dodgy ankles and this means I absolutely detest running on a treadmill (or anywhere else for that matter).
    Any type of interval training is fine as long as it is intense enough to do its job. Try mixing things up. You could use the bike, eliptical, treadmill, sprints, or even swimming, which is amazing, say one or 2 lengths freestyle sprint followed by 3 to 5 lengths slow breaststroke recovery.

    ReplyDelete