Saturday, May 16, 2009

We Did It!!!

Today i ran 10 kilometres without stopping on the road (not on the treadmill). I can almost not believe that we did it.

I picked up the boss at his place at 6am and we hit the park shortly after. It's 2.5 kms once around so our plan was to do four laps. This being about half of our target - the half marathon in July which is 21Kms.

The first lap started hard, about half way around I started to feel better. But by the end of the second I was struggling - if I'd been by myself I would have stopped at two. but with company and a commitment we started the third. As we ended the third i really really didn't want to continue - but i took the attitude on the forth trip around that each step was one i didn't need to take again.

The entire last lap was run on willpower alone - I had nothing else. Really really tough. As we got to about 500 metres to go I picked up the speed. I noticed that I was passing everyone so I thought 'I won't let anyone pass me' then some guy in an orange shirt came thumping along, I had to give every last drop to keep up with him. Funny I was sprinting with everything I had and he was just jogging (it's all relative at the end of the day).

But we did it, two iced bottles of water later and i dropped the boss back home. then the problems started.

He's Belgian so he had some chocolates for my wife. I ate three before breakfast. I considered the "power noodles" but really wanted something more healthy so i had my usual cereal and strawberries and peaches. Then felt terrible, had to lie down on the bed - when I got up I had another chocolate. On the way to work I stopped at Starbucks and got a 'no fat' latte and a muffin. In total i think I've had 1,300 more calories than i need - much more than the amount burned on the run.

I must try to get though the rest of the day without going crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment